Sunday, February 19, 2012

There are times in my life where I desperately miss living in community like I did when I was in college. Don't get me wrong, I love being married, and I love my friends that I have at this phase of my life, but there was just something about the community that I experienced when I lived in college that I long for at different points. Perhaps it was because the people I lived with day in and day out knew me and knew the real me. And not that I am "fake" with the people in my life currently, but when you live with someone it's much easier to tell when they are having a good day or a bad day. And if you know me, then you know that I often have to be forced to talk about things in life, and I feel like because I couldn't "hide" as well on my bad days while I lived in college that is what happened.

But then life happens, and you graduate from college, eventually get real jobs, eventually get married, eventually get pregnant and the authenticity seemingly fades away. Not intentionally, but because of being busy, because of distance, and because of a myriad of other things. And so I often ask myself, "Where do I go from here?"

There is no good answer or at least I haven't found one yet. It's just interesting to me, I suppose. But what would it look like if we strived for that kind of community life outside of college? What would it look like if we didn't give up searching for those authentic relationships? What would it look like if we were not only intentional in supporting others but letting others support us as well?

I suppose it would look more like the Body of Christ; I long for that more than I long to be back at college, and I just needed to share.

No comments: