Sunday, January 1, 2012

ok, so I am a little bit late of doing my list of things I am thankful for on my birthday...believe me, the week of Christmas was a week unlike any other, but I will post more about that later. Now on to the list of 25 things I am thankful for this year. If you are curious about what the postings have been in the two years previous, I actually posted them on my birthdays; December 29 of 2009 and 2010.

I am thankful for...(in no particular order)

1. A relationship with a consistent God who is always there and loves me unconditionally no matter how many times I fail; although there have been dry times in my walk this past year, He still always shows up and never ceases to amaze me.
2. Over a year of marriage with my husband; we have learned, grown and laughed together. We have grown frustrated at times, but we have adjusted to life with both of us in school and still working. I love him very much.
3. My parents; it is so true that you don't realize how much your parents did for you as a kid until you grow up and leave the house. But I adore my parents and the time we are able to spend together.
4. Another volleyball season; it is so fun to be able to help out with something I love. Not to mention I also have the privilege to hang out with some of the most amazing other women and high school girls there are.
5. My in-laws; after hearing people's horror stories this year, I really took a step back and realized how blessed I am to have in-laws who I enjoy spending time with and who geniunely care about me as a person and my relationship with their son.
6. My new niece, Kaelyn Leanne; she is just precious. I love getting pictures and videos of her from my sister. I hate the distance that separates us, but there is nothing better than rocking her to sleep.
7. My fabulous sister; I feel like this year was a year of growth in my relationship with my sister. She truly has become one of my best friends this year, and I cherish the time we have had together, the conversations we share, and the understanding we have.
8. My church; I love going on Sunday mornings hearing the Word of God preached, praising the Lord. One of my most favorite things is seeing the little kids dance during worship. It truly is one of the sweetest things I have ever seen.
9. The fact that I have completed two semesters of grad school; being back in school isn't all it's cracked up to be, but I only have one year of classes left before my internship and I am thankful for that too.
10. DVR; this probably sounds lame, but the reality of it is, being in school and working full time I have had to develop a self-care plan that allows me to take time for myself. DVR has allowed me to watch mindless TV shows that help me get my mind off of the often horribly negative stories I hear daily.
11. My family in India; even though I did not see them this year, I think of the daily and miss them immensely. I even just got a Facebook request from one of the girls I was closest with at the orphanage my first year there. What a sweet surprise.
12. My job; although my job frustrates me to no avail, I know I am privileged to have a job and to be investing in the people's lives I work with in the way that I am. I would be foolish to not be thankful for the opportunities it gives me to share God's love with people every day.
13. My friends; I am relearning what it means to need people. We were created for community, and I am thankful for the supports I have.
14. Seeing the sunrises and sunsets; the colors still amaze me, and the beauty of them increases my gratefulness to the Lord for caring about the minute details of our lives.
15. My dad's stories from his trips overseas; maybe this is double dipping since I already said I was thankful for my parents, but I love listening to my dad tell stories. Now, first of all, he is a great storyteller, but the reality of it is, hearing about the ways God is moving in places most people would never want to travel to gives me goosebumps.
16. Time alone; I've always known I was an introvert, but this year, I have continued realizing I need that time if I am going to effectively pour into others.
17. Words with Friends; again, another shallow thing, but yet another mindless activity that I am able to do to keep me sane.
18. Memories; I love being able to remember little things about my life, from church camp to time spent with my beloved Grandma. They bring me joy.
19. Being organized; I love the feeling of satisfaction I get when I know everything has its place and when I feel prepared for things.
20. The dreams I have for my future; although I know God is in ultimate control, I love knowing that the possibilities are endless.
21. The fact that I can still play the piano; talk about stress relieving. I love sitting down and being able to play...
22. Laughter; words truly cannot express how much I love laughing. I love laughing with people, I love making people laugh, I love not being ashamed to laugh loudly, and I love even laughing by myself at silly things that happen.
23. Days with no plans; this seems to happen less and less the older I get. Although being busy looks different at all stages of life, I love days where I have no plans and no obligations.
24. The story God has written and is continuing to write with my life; I have learned that even my life can make a big difference in the world, and I just want to be obedient. I am thankful for the opportunity He has given me to walk in His ways according to His word.
Last but not least....
25. I am thankful for Eliana Joy; mine and Dan's daughter due in under 4 months. I am thankful that God has chosen us to be her parents, and I am excited to see the journey that He takes us on as we learn our new roles of becoming parents. I am thankful for each and every move she makes already and the kicks that make my belly jump. I am thankful that she is fearfully and wonderfully made and that God already knows her and has prepared a way for her. I am thankful for the humbling experience it is to be pregnant, and I am thankful that He so long ago heard my prayers of becoming a mother.

I am so blessed...so, so blessed. And so unworthy. But I am HIS and that is what makes this life worth living.

No comments: